But it hasn't been all work. There has been a lot of play going on out here also! Here's a list (and some pics) of some of the past couple of weeks' events.
1. Went to Colonial 1st ward.
This is the ward that I was in last semester. It was so great to see old friends. I seriously LOOOOOVE that ward.
2. Interviewed for an AMAZING Nanny job...
...but turned it down cause they wanted me to commit for a year. I just couldn't do it. I actually want to be a teacher.
3. Hung out with Eileen Nielson.
She is the mother of Kim's roommate, Emily. She may be small...but she's a firecracker. We went to Archives to do some genealogy, went to the Portrait museum and walked through the US PRESIDENTS' portrait gallery, went to the National Gallery of Art (west wing), went to the Asian and African Art museums, and went shopping at Friendship Heights. Seriously love this lady.


At the National Gallery of Art Eileen bought Kim and I these plaques of our favorite paintings. The one on the left is by Monet, the one on the right is a Renoir. Bet you can't guess which one is mine. Thanks, Eileen!!!!
4. Walked around The NATIONAL Mall...
...I can't do this enough. I love it. I love seeing the monuments and memorials. And the weather couldn't have been more perfect.

Another beautiful picture of The Mall from atop the Lincoln Memorial


This was the first time I had been to the Korean War Memorial. I love this quote that they have on display there, "Our Nation honors her sons and daughters who answered the call to defend a country they never knew and a people they never met."
5. Took a tour of the US CAPITAL...
...again, can't do this enough. I think this was my 3rd tour of the Capital. This time my tour guide was my good friend Tali who was my roommate and student taught with me last semester.

6. Went on a DAYCATION to Montpelier (James Madison's home)
in Virginia...
Kim, her roommate Staci, and I decided to get away from the city for the day. We were going to go to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home), but this was a half hour closer. What a beautiful place. Being able to visit places like this is what I LOOOOVE most about being in DC!

Me, Kim, and Staci

This is the gravesite for a horse named Battleship whose father was Man O War and mother was Quarantaine. We just love the wording of it. A little too graphic if you ask me.

Kim is a Greek goddess

Found this treasure on the grounds of Montpelier. It speaks for itself...

7. Went to a NATIONALS baseball game....
It was my birthday and this is what we did to celebrate! I love baseball. It was fun to go to their stadium. But alas, didn't catch a fly ball.


Back: Tali and Ian
Front: Ryan, Kim, Me, and Matt
8. Saw the Cherry Blossoms!
Ok...so there was only half a tree that had cherry blossoms left on it. Nikki, Kim's roommate hadn't seen them yet either, so we said that tree held out for the two of us. I wish I had gotten there a few days earlier when ALL the trees along the Tidal Basin looked like this!


9. Walked along the Potomac!
On the way to church you drive along the Potomac river. It is the most beautiful drive. It was AMAZING during the Fall. Kim, Tali, and I had always wanted to take a walk there. So we did. After church we were dropped off around 2 miles from the church and then walked back up to the church. What a beautiful path. And if you can't tell by my hair in the pictures...it was a pretty windy day.


10. Went to DUKE ELLINGTON!
Oh how I missed this place. My kids were SOOOOOO excited to see me. A group of girls that I used to teach had found out that I was in the building...so they ran up to Ms. Moore's classroom and were crying with excitement cause they thought that I was back for good. They then began to cry with sadness when I told them I was just there for the day. I'm sad that I only remembered to take pictures with 2 of my classes. I sure love these kids!

4th Period (Hmm...One of these things is not like the others...)

5th Period

I'm sorry...but as a teacher it's very difficult not to have favorites. I'll admit it now...these boys were two of my favorites!
11. Went on another Daycation with Kim and Staci...
...to the Air and Space Museum at the Dulles Airport...it was AWESOME!




This is the ward that I was in last semester. It was so great to see old friends. I seriously LOOOOOVE that ward.
2. Interviewed for an AMAZING Nanny job...
...but turned it down cause they wanted me to commit for a year. I just couldn't do it. I actually want to be a teacher.
3. Hung out with Eileen Nielson.
She is the mother of Kim's roommate, Emily. She may be small...but she's a firecracker. We went to Archives to do some genealogy, went to the Portrait museum and walked through the US PRESIDENTS' portrait gallery, went to the National Gallery of Art (west wing), went to the Asian and African Art museums, and went shopping at Friendship Heights. Seriously love this lady.
At the National Gallery of Art Eileen bought Kim and I these plaques of our favorite paintings. The one on the left is by Monet, the one on the right is a Renoir. Bet you can't guess which one is mine. Thanks, Eileen!!!!
4. Walked around The NATIONAL Mall...
...I can't do this enough. I love it. I love seeing the monuments and memorials. And the weather couldn't have been more perfect.
Another beautiful picture of The Mall from atop the Lincoln Memorial
This was the first time I had been to the Korean War Memorial. I love this quote that they have on display there, "Our Nation honors her sons and daughters who answered the call to defend a country they never knew and a people they never met."
5. Took a tour of the US CAPITAL...
...again, can't do this enough. I think this was my 3rd tour of the Capital. This time my tour guide was my good friend Tali who was my roommate and student taught with me last semester.
6. Went on a DAYCATION to Montpelier (James Madison's home)
in Virginia...
Kim, her roommate Staci, and I decided to get away from the city for the day. We were going to go to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home), but this was a half hour closer. What a beautiful place. Being able to visit places like this is what I LOOOOVE most about being in DC!
Me, Kim, and Staci
This is the gravesite for a horse named Battleship whose father was Man O War and mother was Quarantaine. We just love the wording of it. A little too graphic if you ask me.
Kim is a Greek goddess
Found this treasure on the grounds of Montpelier. It speaks for itself...
7. Went to a NATIONALS baseball game....
It was my birthday and this is what we did to celebrate! I love baseball. It was fun to go to their stadium. But alas, didn't catch a fly ball.
Back: Tali and Ian
Front: Ryan, Kim, Me, and Matt
8. Saw the Cherry Blossoms!
Ok...so there was only half a tree that had cherry blossoms left on it. Nikki, Kim's roommate hadn't seen them yet either, so we said that tree held out for the two of us. I wish I had gotten there a few days earlier when ALL the trees along the Tidal Basin looked like this!
9. Walked along the Potomac!
On the way to church you drive along the Potomac river. It is the most beautiful drive. It was AMAZING during the Fall. Kim, Tali, and I had always wanted to take a walk there. So we did. After church we were dropped off around 2 miles from the church and then walked back up to the church. What a beautiful path. And if you can't tell by my hair in the pictures...it was a pretty windy day.
10. Went to DUKE ELLINGTON!
Oh how I missed this place. My kids were SOOOOOO excited to see me. A group of girls that I used to teach had found out that I was in the building...so they ran up to Ms. Moore's classroom and were crying with excitement cause they thought that I was back for good. They then began to cry with sadness when I told them I was just there for the day. I'm sad that I only remembered to take pictures with 2 of my classes. I sure love these kids!
4th Period (Hmm...One of these things is not like the others...)
5th Period
I'm sorry...but as a teacher it's very difficult not to have favorites. I'll admit it now...these boys were two of my favorites!
11. Went on another Daycation with Kim and Staci...
...to the Air and Space Museum at the Dulles Airport...it was AWESOME!
Well...it's only April 22nd. I leave to go back to Mesa on Sunday (April 26th). Who knows what else lies in store for me. Maybe I'll actually be moving back here within the next few months!
5 comments:
Or maybe you'll be moving to Utah? I like that plan better.... PS I am proud of you for at least remember to take photos! Good work!
Yeah! Now we know what you've been doing. I thought you were in a room somewhere reading "The Great and the Terrible" series!
hope you had a GOOD birthday!!! I love all the pictures you've taken you have a very fun LIFE!
Man....reading your blog about DC makes me want to go visit there SO BAD! I just want to hop on a plan and fly there and bring you with me to be my tour guide! What a fun trip! I think I told you this already, but that was one of the few things on my list of "things to do before I get married" that I never go to do. Someday I hope!
Oh my goodness I miss DC!!! You're pictures make me miss it a ton! The history, DUKE ELLINGTON! That's awesome that you moved back there! Please tell the kids hi if you go back to see them again.
Post a Comment