Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Mason=Kicker=Awesome!



My little brother Mason, who is now much bigger than me, scored the game winning field goal on Friday night. This was Senior's night and so when all the seniors on the team ran out at the beginning of the game they read what each of the boys wrote about themselves. When Mason ran out they read, "Mason plans to serve a mission for his church, become a cop, and have 12 kids." Haha! What a silly boy. Too bad I won't be able to actually go to one of his games, since I'm in DC until December 14th! Good thing my mother records all the good stuff. Here's the game winning field goal. Way to go, bro!




Article from the Tribune:

Mesa beats Red Mountain in OT

By Al Bravo, For the Tribune

Red Mountain 3 0 7 0 0 10
Mesa 0 0 0 10 3 13

November 7, 2008 - 07:00PM - Mesa

Full box score| More Football

Mason Crandell has a school-record 13 field goals in his two-year career at Mesa High. None were bigger than the one he hit Friday night to end the regular season and clinch a 5A-I playoff berth for the Jackrabbits.

But you’d never know it by talking to him.

“I just knew I was going to put it through,” Crandell said calmly, moments after he nailed the game-winner in a 13-10 overtime win over visiting Mesa Red Mountain.

“I don’t even think when I am out there kicking,” Crandell said. “I’m just in the game. I don’t really like to get all hyped up about it.”

The Mesa defense came up big again on Friday against the higher-ranked Lions but had to make one last stand in overtime to set up Crandell’s big kick.

After having tied the game with 1:33 left in regulation on Kyler Fackrell’s 19-yard scramble, the Jackrabbits had to go on defense first in the overtime.

Red Mountain, which found little success outside its two scoring drives, got seven yards on first down in the overtime and then Derek Mendoza threw two incompletions.

He was nearly sacked on third down and Mesa’s Vince Durazo almost intercepted the pass in the end zone.

On fourth down, the reliable Colten Sheley lined up for a 21-yard kick but the snap was low and although holder Julian Madison somehow got the ball to Craig Frum, he was stopped well short of the goal line.

Jackrabbit coach Kelley Moore said he didn’t have to think about his next move.

“He hasn’t missed in two years,” Moore said of his kicker. “If we held them we knew we were going to kick a field goal. There was just no question about it.”

Crandell hit the 27-yarder, completing Mesa’s four-game winning streak to end the year and get into the postseason. Last year, Mesa won its last three games to earn a playoff bid.

4 comments:

Tannis said...

I like the pictures at the top!

nate and amy crandell said...

Yes I went to the GAME IT WAS AMAZING seriously the BEST comeback!! And I love your header!!

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

I also love the pictures at the top! You will have to teach me how to do that when I come visit you!

Brittany Elaine Castleton said...

haha all your family looks related. We don't at all. That's awsome for him!! Way to goooo!