Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Manders and CoCo come to DC!

I had a blast when my family was here. I had a blast when Becca and her parents were here. And AGAIN, I had a blast when Colette and Amanda came to visit me this weekend for THANKSGIVING. They came Tuesday night (November 25th) and left Sunday afternoon (November 30th). I have so much to be thankful for (see previous post) but today I'm feeling particularly grateful for Amanda and Colette's friendship. We had way too much fun this week. Here's what we did while they were here visiting, which was a lot. Sorry...there's a ton of pictures and videos. (Pictures courtesy of Amanda Hansen)

WEDNESDAY, November 26th, 2008


We shop at COSTCO a lot and had to return the COSTCO cart (meaning drop it off at the basement of my building..shh...don't tell...)



As we were waiting for our train to come Amanda asked us to do a little tap dancing...


Walking to the NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY...


...model...


Here is a section of the lunch counter that used to be in a diner in Greensboro, North Carolina where the famous Civil Rights SIT-IN took place...


I love Stephen Colbert...


Kermit...


Puffy shirt..."I don't want to be a pirate!!" ~Jerry Seinfeld


Dorothy's ruby red slippers...


"...when you see an Elephant fly"...DUMBO...


Presidential street signs...


Piece of the Berlin Wall...DC (Donelle Crandell)...85 (year I was born)...


I'll never forget the day the Twin Towers fell...September 11, 2001


Waiting in line to see the Star-Spangled Banner...


"Oh Say Can You See..." The Star-Spangled Banner!



...probably the coolest thing we saw at the National Museum of American History were the hand dryers in the bathrooms...they were INSANELY loud and powerful...see for yourself...


Riding home on the METRO...Wellington #34 Fall 2007-Winter 2008 Reunion! Love these girls!


NATIONAL CATHEDRAL...

Our good friend from the good ol' days of Condo Row, Matt Fischer, took Me, Colette, and Amanda to dinner at 2 Amy's Pizza and to the National Cathedral...



He showed us the Secret Garden behind the National Cathedral...



He drove us down Embassy Row and by the CLINTON'S HOME...


We then went to see the MONUMENTS AT NIGHT...



Walked by the VIETNAM MEMORIAL...


Lastly, we went to say hi to Einstein...


THURSDAY, November 27th, 2008


Thanksgiving morning we decided to go to Arlington Cemetery...we had a little fun taking some pictures in the METRO station and on the train...


ARLINGTON CEMETERY...once we got there the battery in Amanda's camera died, so these pictures were taken from my cell phone...not bad



THANSGIVING DINNER...had a few friends that were in town come over for a mini feast...everyone contributed a little somethin' somethin'...it was AMAZING...I made the mashed taters...

(Photo courtesy of Meg Moffat...she's already an AMAZING photographer)

Here's a video of some of the happenings that evening after we ate...it also shows most of the people that came by that night...


That night we were chillin' in my room and Colette was wrapped-up in this blanket...wasn't until then that we realized that a picture of a couple in front of the Salt Lake Temple was stitched into it...(it was left here from previous student teachers)



FRIDAY, November 29th, 2008

Washington Monument...


World War II Memorial...




Jefferson Memorial...we actually didn't get that close cause it was pretty far and we were too cold to do the walk...


We saw this sign a bunch of times while walking around...classic DC...


FREER GALLERY OF ART...they had some American Art, but most of what they had were ancient artifacts...here are some ancient Egyptian artifacts (this is cool because I'm teaching my students about ancient Egypt)...


SMITHSONIAN CASTLE INFORMATION CENTER...we went inside and took a picture with the Christmas tree...


Air and Space Museum...we just ran in for a minute to take a picture of Amanda with the replica of the space shuttle Challenger that exploded the day she was born, January 28, 1986...


OLD TOWN ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA...we went to their Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration...lots of people, a show, Christmas lights, and hot cocoa...


Hopped on the METRO and found this advertisement...no explanation necessary...


WHITE HOUSE...the White House at night was BEAUTIFUL!

Here we are dancing for President Bush...I LOVE it when Colette starts to dance and when Amanda turns the camera to face her...we're funny!






Some cute boys (Dusty and Jeremiah) were also taking pictures at the White House and took this last one for us...we walked with them to the METRO cause they were kinda lost...they're going to a small college in Nashville to become a Pastor and a Youth Minister...cute

Saturday, November 29, 2008


STAR SIGHTING...we rode the METRO to the Capitol South station and then made our way around the Capitol to get tickets for a tour...on our way we walked right by this fella...all I could do was stare at him...he looked right at me, smiled, and kept walking...he's from the show GILMORE GIRLS (he's Rory's dad, Christopher)...all I could think at the time was, "Oh my, that's Christopher from Gilmore Girls!"...I should've taken a picture with him...wish I could have remembered his actual name...(it's David Sutcliffe)


US CAPITOL TOUR...most of the visitor's center is finished and so they started the tours from there...the visitor's center is AWESOME...

Video of us in the rotunda of the Capitol...we had to wear these silly headphones to hear our tour guide who had a microphone...


Center stone (again)...


Brigham Young...


The front of the Capitol...


SUPREME COURT BUILDING...had a photoshoot on the steps...



LIBRARY OF CONGRESS...where I study...


Replica of Thomas Jefferson's library...


NATIONAL ARCHIVES...

...Magna Carta...


...Declaration of Independence...


....last page of the US Constitution...


...Bill of Rights...


GEORGETOWN...ate some dinner and then walked around and took some pictures...I love the Christmas decor!



Scary, dark alley...


Sunday, November 30th, 2008


Slept in.
Said our goodbyes and parted our ways.
Cried a little inside cause I'm going to miss those ladies!


PS...all we spent money on was food and $26 for a week METRO pass, everything else was FREE...awesome!

PSS...2 weeks until I'm outta here...

3 comments:

nate and amy crandell said...

LUCKY!! I totally want to go there! I didn't even know all that was in D.C. ! I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving, hopefully we see you for Christmas:)

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

You win for longest blog post ever. Such an amazing week deserved such a lengthy post. I've decided to quit my job and wander around looking at monuments and touring museums for the rest of my days. I'll be there tomorrow.

Brittany Elaine Castleton said...

So dude wiered story about sep. 11 the night before it happened sheridan dreamed about it.. and she was like 10 at the time.