Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Lactose Intolerant

That's right folks...

I'm approximately 99% sure that I'm lactose intolerant.
(Sorry...is this too personal to share with cyberspace?)
I've had an inkling for a couple of months that I might be. I mainly would just have stomach cramping, but I had no idea why. It was nothing too serious...but just annoying.
Anyway, one day it just hit me. "I wonder if it's from drinking milk? Could I be lactose intolerant?" Then I thought, "What a stupid idea! I'm 24. I've never been lactose intolerant. I can't be now!" And I ignored the prompting and continued to have that bowl of cereal and milk daily...and therefore also continued to have stomach cramps.

Then one day I was driving with my good ol' friend, Colette. My stomach wasn't feeling too well and I absentmindedly thought out loud, "You know what? I think I'm lactose intolerant." After some discussion and then a google search later on the symptoms of lactose intolerance I decided to go a week with no dairy and then see how I felt.

Well ladies and gents...after a week and a half of consuming pretty much no dairy products I've had no stomach cramping.

To some this may not be a big deal. But do you know what this means?!?!?!?!
It means I can no longer consume

ICE CREAM


OR

CEREAL & SKIM MILK


OR

CHEESE


Depressing.

So now when I want that cereal and milk fix I'm going to have to result in consuming

CEREAL & SOY MILK


Weird.

This is going to take some getting used to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm sorry.

MegRich said...

Aww shucks. I love ice cream! But I have to tell you that vanilla flavored soy milk is the bomb. You will love it!

Brittany said...

my old roommate and cousin are both lactose intolerant and they eat all the dairy products they want. you just have to take a little pill right before you eat something with dairy and you're fine. i can't remember the name, but i can ask. you shouldn't have to give up ice cream!

Brittany said...

ok, so it's called lactaid and it's over-the-counter.

donelle said...

Thanks Brittany!

Unknown said...

Sucks to be you! (Brooks)

Taryn and Sterling said...

You will get used to the soy with cereal. I did. Just make sure to get the vanilla. Also they made soy ice cream that is very yummy! They have it at sprouts or fry's in yummy flavors. Walmart carries it too, but only in vanilla and we all know that is boring! You will survive, I did. Hope you continue to feel better.
Now Ian isn't the only weird one in the family and we know where he gets it from. Thanks Donnelle! :)

Kimberly said...

You should try alomond milk. I did a 28 day cleanse thing last month and we didn't eat any dairy either. The almond milk is pretty good (but I don't really like soy milk). I'm SUPER sorry to hear that, though! sniff sniff! I'm so sad that you can't enjoy cheese with me anymore! :(

Brittany Elaine Castleton said...

haha remember how just a few weeks ago you where wishing you where... haha you got your wish! Maybe I should try it :) just for you!