Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Trip to the Senate- A Novel



Alright, so I'm going to apologize ahead of time for the length of this post, because I can already tell that it's going to be an ultra lengthy one. I would also love to publicly thank my mother for pushing me to write this post. (It's totally cool though, Mom. I was already planning on posting about this!)

Anyway, yesterday (October 1, 2008) around 12:28 Kim (my roommate/friend/second cousin/shoulder to cry on) was google chatting with me and told me that on CNN.com it said that the Senate was going to be voting on the Bailout Plan that night. So I said, "We have to go watch it!!!" Our other cute roommate, Tali, had gone a few times last week to watch the Senate and the House and said that it was super easy to get in to see it.

We wanted to go right when school was out, and since we teach at different schools, we made arrangements to meet up at the Chinatown Metro stop to travel the rest of the way together to the Capitol. Another one of our roommates, Tamara, happens to teach at the same school as Kim and so she was able to come with us.

We got to the Capitol around 4:45ish and talked to some policemen/guards who thought they were pretty special and were on the House side of the Capitol. We asked about going into the Senate Gallery to watch the vote on the Bailout Plan. Their response, "You just barely missed it." Kim's reply, "But CNN said they weren't going to vote until sundown because of Rash Hashana." Their reply, "Oh, they were expecting a lot of protesters so they decided to vote earlier." Kim, looking a little bewildered, then replied, "Seriously?!?!?" Then realizing how funny they were, they said, "Nah, we're just kidding." Then my response, "Really? Cause I didn't sense an ounce of sarcasm in your voice!" Anyway, after that akward interaction they kindly directed us to the Senator's office buildings, which is where we could get tickets to get into the gallery.

We walked around the Capitol and into the first Senate office building we saw. We decided to go to Senator Hatch's office (of Utah) because Kim is really good friends with his granddaughter. We actually happened to walk into the correct building. When we got there we were greeted by two very tired looking interns taking calls for the Senator. We asked what the majority of the calls were for. Their response, "The Bailout Plan." Apparently their phone calls had been flooded with people expressing their disapproval for the plan. And always, the interns' responded, "Thank you for your call. We will forward your message to Senator Hatch as soon as possible." Really, all they were doing was taking a tally of Yays and Nays for the bill.

We then ran up to Union Station to grab a quick bite to eat. There was a fun little gift shop when we first walked in and they had almost life-size cardboard standups of Senator McCain and Senator Obama. People were already taking pictures with Senator Obama, so I decided to at least take a picture with my own senator, Senator McCain. Then we ran downstairs, stood in line for pizza, got cut in line by a super rude dude, and then quickly ate our pizza. Then after downing a 20 something ounce of Diet Coke we were on our way to watch the Senate.

Ok! Sorry that this is so long, but the best is yet to come!!

When we got back to the Capitol, this time on the Senate side, we had to throw out ALL food that was in our bags. I had to throw away a couple of granola bars. That was sad. I wish I had found a homeless person to give them to on the way there. Anyway, we then showed them our tickets, walked through the metal detector, had our bags searched and scanned and then we were in the Capitol. We walked up to the 3rd floor and waited in a line about 20 minutes to get into the Gallery, walked through another metal detector, had our bags searched again, and then were seated around 6:30.

The Gallery is just a balcony that is above and around where all the action takes place. So you are able to look down and see all the Senators' seats and desks, as well as the President of the Senate's seat. When we were first seated there were only a few senator's there. Each spoke about 3 minutes about why they believe the Bailout Plan should or should not be passed.Where we sat we were not able to see the entire floor, so it was difficult to see everyone in there. One voice seemed familiar and I leaned over and realized it was John Kerry that was speaking in favor of the bill.

Then after about 2 1/2 hours of more speeches about the Bailout plan and a few other bills the room began to become a little more crowded. Besides John Kerry, Jon Kyle was the first Senator to enter that I recognized because he is one of my Senators from good ol' Arizona. Then Senator Obama entered the room. There was a feeling of excitement in the room when he entered. Everyone on the balcony leaned over to get a better look at him. Then a few minutes later, that feeling of excitement came back when Senator McCain entered the room. Then not too long after that feeling of excitement came once more when Senator Clinton entered the room. It really was surreal. Those three especially seemed to be the celebrities of the Senate. And they were all RIGHT THERE. Right beneath us. I nearly made eye-contact with Senator Obama a few times because I had a really good view of his seat. Ok...so I'm sure he didn't even really notice or care that we were all up there, but still, to be in the same room as all our Senators was really quite the experience.

As they all walked in they began conversations with one another. Senators Obama and Clinton stuck to the Democrat side and spoke to their fellow Democrats for most of the time. However, Senator Obama did take a moment to shake Senator McCain's hand. Awkward! Senator McCain stuck to the Republican side and actually spoke to Senator Kyle for a bit and then Senator Lieberman for the majority of the time.

They were all then brought to order and told to take their seats. The legislative clerk did roll call and Senator Reid of Nevada, who is also the Majority Leader then spoke in favor of the bill. It was sad though because even though he had a microphone he didn't speak loud enough for us to hear. I was able to catch pieces here and there about it and about his approval for it.

It was then time for them to vote. The legislative clerk called them alphabetically and as their name was called they stood and said "yes" or "no." As they were voting Kim and I were both counting the number of "no's" on our hands because there were significantly less of them. Also, those who said "no" said it really defiantly. Senator Kennedy was in the hospital, so he was the only Senator who wasn't present, but there turned out to be 74 "yays" and 25 "nays." AKA...The Bailout Plan was passed in the Senate!

What an amazing thing to witness and attend such a significant event. I think that it is something that every American should experience. If you ever make it to DC make it an obligation to go into the Senate and/or House Galleries and watch our US legislature at work! Tomorrow the House is voting on the Bailout again. I'm hoping to be able to go to that one too!

Ok! The End! I really don't expect anyone to have read this whole thing, I mainly wrote it for myself...and Kim!!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Your fee for me proof reading this is me stealing it to put on my blog!! Thanks!! ;)

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

Wow! That was REALLY interesting! I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone who read my blog first, I just wanted people to be sure and read yours!

Kristen said...

I read the WHOLE thing thank you very much! How cool are you guys? An experience you will never forget! You know there is a website 'Blurb' that will turn your Blog into a book? With that last post, you might want to think about making that story permanent! What neat experiences you are having. Lucky Duck!

Amanda Ann Hansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Ann Hansen said...

That is so rad! What an exciting time to be in DC!

Michael said...

Great recap. Something tells me that is a vote that will be remembered for a long time. BTW... next time you guys are near the capitol, stop by and say hi!

Tannis said...

Awesome sista!!! I'm stinkin jealous!!

Black Hat Photography said...

Yes, I read the whole thing (well, at least all the high-lighted words -- what a great idea! You must be a recent college grad who carries a high-lighter around in her hand....!). Very, very cool, historical (no, I won't say "hysterical"!), and informative. btw, I love your blog!

And love you too!

Aunt Nadine from TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!

Becca Gilbert said...

Donelly that is so much fun! I read the ENTIRE thing! I am so jealous you got to experience that! I am so excited to come out there and see all of the sights! What a great experience for you to have... seriously- once in a lifetime....

The Crandell Crew said...

Wow That was so cool! I had not read your blog right away but your mom kept reminding me to read it. I am so glad she did because girl that is so cool! To be in the same room as McCain and Obama n such! I also loved th pictures of the Library of Congress! What amazing architecture! Love ya girl, and we can't wait to see you!